7 Things To Do When You Feel Discouraged…
We’ve all been there when we lack courage and lack confidence. But many times our state of discouragement is set by our own disapproval of ourselves. We feed into the lies that hinder our dreams, our ambitions, and even our life. If we are not careful of taking our own thoughts captive, discouragement can easily turn into anxiety or depression when we fail to live up to our own or someone else’s expectations. When we are in the midst of discouragement, we must reset our minds and seek deliverance and hold onto the promise that God has for us. And that promise is that He wants to give you life to the fullest. Here are 7 things to do when you feel discouraged…
1) Be Honest with yourself. First, admit you are not okay and find a solution. Whether that is talking to a mentor, seeking God in the Word, or just simply not allowing yourself to think negatively. Second, honestly ask yourself why are you feeling discouraged? Does something need to change in order for you to reach your goal? Do you need to focus more and remove the distractions from your life that are in the way of achieving that goal?
2) Think On These Things. When I am feeling down, depressed, hopeless, or angry, my husband reminds me of this verse that says, “Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of excellence, and worthy of praise, think on these things.”(Phil 4:8)
3) Take Time for yourself and just breathe. Take this time to reflect, let go, and give it to God. “Be still and know that I am God.” (Ps. 46:10)
4) Pray & Read. The more you are in the Word, the more grounded you will be, and the more comfort you will have. “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still (in Him).” Ex. 14:14
5) Stop Comparing. The tendency to compare ourselves to others is as human as any other emotion, but it is a decision that only deprives us of joy in our lives. Read my latest blog post on 4 ways to stop comparing yourself to others by clicking here.
6) Focus on your actions and make sure you have the right motivations. If your sole motivations are to do something to be rewarded or praised for, you are only setting yourself up for discouragement.
7) Change. What needs to change in this situation? It could be just a change of heart or perspective. It could be that you are stuck in a routine that isn’t fulfilling your ultimate goal. Find whatever needs to change in your life, and take action to change it.
What are some things you do when you are feeling discouraged? Comment below, I’d love to hear from you!
SHOP THE POST